Friday, October 21, 2011

An "almost" twin

An "almost" twin is a person who's almost like you in most mannerisms, attitude and behaviour, but who can also be the complete opposite of you that when you rub against one in the wrong way, sparks don't just fly, they burn!

I have one such person where I'm currently studying. You can say that we've known each other our whole lives (if life starts at primary one), but we never really got to know each other (much less talk to each other!) no matter how close we sat by one another or how many classes we took together. It even took us some time to acknowledge each others' presence after I've started appearing in the university, much to our mutual amazement. We just weren't sure that we're who we think we were - if that makes any sense at all, haha.

And yet...we clicked. In a weird sense, that is. Perhaps time enabled us to mature and be more tolerant (this is "almost" twin's theory) of each other. We can be sooo alike that all it takes is a glance to share "confidential" knowledge, but when we disagree, all hell breaks loose, albeit, in a pretty controlled way. Then, given time and space, we open ourselves up again and make nice. 

Last week was a bit of hell. It had all the right ingredients to make my mood foul, and foul it was. I found out today that a mutual friend was wondering what's up, but thanks to "almost" twin, my actions was explained pretty accurately that it's almost scary. And that's probably because "almost" twin is like me! I also found out today that it's somewhat nice to have someone understand me on that level, so that when I'm not in the best of moods, someone can make sense of it, even when I can't. 

We're not the best of friends. I'm not even sure if we can be categorised as friends as we have different statuses on campus (not that I care). But after today, I think I'm comfortable having "almost" twin as, well, my "almost" twin! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment